- James Monroe: The Quest for National Identity by Harry Ammon
- James Monroe: An Illustrated History by Daniel Preston (Editor, the Papers of James Monroe)
- The Glorious Hour of Lieutenant Monroe by Richard Hanser
- A Presidential Legacy by Lee Langston-Harrison
- The Presidency of James Monroe by Noble E. Cunningham
- James Monroe: The American Presidents’ Series: The 5th President, 1817-1925 by Gary Hart and Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.
- James Monroe (American Statesmen Series) by Daniel Coit Gilman
- The Last Founding Father: James Monroe and a Nation’s Call to Greatness by Harlow G. Unger
- The Monroe Doctrine: Empire and Nation in Nineteenth-Century America by Jay Sexton
A more comprehensive bibliography has been compiled by the staff of the Papers of James Monroe.
(Items marked with an asterisk are sold in the museum shop. Contact us to order.)
- *The Making of a Revolutionary by Meghan C. Budinger
- *The Presidency of James Monroe, 1817-1825 by Daniel Preston
- *Monroe Family Recipes, edited by Judith E. Kosik
- Music in Mr. Monroe’s Fredericksburg: Cultural Life in Early Federal Era America by Patricia Norwood
- *Elizabeth Kortright Monroe